LBO Gardener Requirements
Membership and Plot Rental Fees
- Complete and sign a rental agreement and waiver of liability with LBO for each season
- Maintain your plot year round.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of community work in the common areas per 6-month season (20 hours annually).
- Pay membership dues and plot fees by March 1 and Sept. 1.
- New gardeners must plant their gardens within 30 days of signing the rental agreement.
- Participating in garden events is as important as paying rent! Regular communal workdays and potlucks are scheduled for completion of community work hours, fun, and camaraderie.
- Special arrangements can be made for those who can't attend the workdays to complete their minimum hours in other ways.
$0.40 per square foot per six-month season (includes $0.15 water surcharge)Seasons:
Begin on March 1 and Sept. 1Plot sizes:
Vary, 10’x10′ foot is commonMinimum plot fee per season:
$30.00 (applied to rental of plots smaller than 10’x8′)Plot fee calculation example:
10’x10’ = 100 square feet
100 square feet x $0.40 = $40.00
$40.00 x 2 seasons + $80.00
+ LBO membership fee $25.00
Total for one year of gardening: $105.00Priorities for Assigning Plots
LBO actively seeks new garden spaces to fill with waiting gardeners. Is there a vacant lot in your neighborhood in need of cultivation? Let us know so we can help you create a community garden in your neighborhood!
- Quarterly payment, sliding scale rent, and reduced memberships are available in some circumstances. Contact email@example.com to discuss assistance.
- Some gardens have long waiting lists with little turnover.
- Factors other than waiting list priority may apply. LBO is interested in providing plots to low-income families, especially those with children, who might not otherwise have access to wholesome, organic produce.
- Long Beach residents or those who may live in a neighboring city but near a garden are given priority.
- Some property owners have other special requirements. For example, the City of Long Beach’s Department of Parks, Recreation & Marine requests that those within walking distance of the garden be given priority.
- Special consideration is given to individuals who have no other opportunity to garden.
- LBO does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.